Brussels (BE), October 2022 - The annual Media & Learning conference organised by KU Leuven and the Media & Learning Association will take place 07-08 June 2023 in Leuven, Belgium. The organisers have recently launched next year's event and announced the topics that will be used to build the conference programme.
The banner theme for "Media & Learning 2023: Where Pedagogy Meets Media" takes into account one of the most challenging tasks that educators face; namely, how to incorporate media in all its manifestations into the learning process in the most efficient and effective way. Join audiovisual service providers, staff in centres for teaching and learning, instructional desgners, innovation leaders, researchers, advisers, and developers to discuss how to get the most out of media-supported learning in different settings.
The conference agenda will include inspiring keynote presentations, chosen to introduce new ideas and approaches to challenge the norm and to stimulate debate. Discussion tracks on different topics will be designed to build knowledge, share experience, and promote networking. Demos and a tech track will highlight the latest developments and innovations in technology and services, and a full programme of video showcases will feature the very best in educational-media production, including the finalists of the 2023 MEDEA Awards.
The organisers plan to develop the programme in the coming months based on input from our members and taking into account feedback from previous years - a first draft will be available in early spring 2023.
A public call for input has been launched for the 2023 conference, in which we welcome your proposal for the agenda. The call is open until 31 January 2023; submissions should address one or more of the topics chosen for 2023:
- Sharing best practice amongst centres for teaching and learning on tackling the challenges of promoting effective and inclusive learning
- Staff training and support, including the tools and strategies applied across the campus to exploit the use of media for teaching and learning purposes
- Technological advances in hybrid classrooms, featuring the latest developments in audiovisual services to support teaching and learning
- Is higher education embracing or replacing XR? This includes updated research findings, working practices that make sense, upscaling XR projects. IP and data privacy can no longer be ignored.
- Exploiting the power of podcasting for teaching and learning at scale and the support services that make podcasting happen
- AI and how it can be applied to enhance media-supported learning in higher education
- Management and re-use of media-based teaching and learning resources, including the promotion of OER in higher education and the re-use and re-working of MOOCs
- Interactive teaching formats and assessment practices in higher education that exploit the value and impact of media including a review of best practice in MOOCs
- The use of media in teacher education and training, including 360° recording, visualisations, and modelling videos
- Advances in audiovisual production practices designed to get the most out of media in teaching and learning settings.